Saturday, January 24, 2009

Working Together?

So, if you know me at all, you know I have a tendency to be passionate about things. And recently, one of those is politics - more specifically our new president. Now, let me start by saying, I am not claiming, nor have I ever, that I know everything there is to know about politics. However, unlike many others who voted in this last election, I felt like I did my homework - my responsibility as a voter.

I have been criticized for not changing my mind to support our new president. That now all the sudden since he is the president, I must agree with everything he says. Since he says he's going to "change" everything, that I should put my "hope" in him. I'm sorry, I just don't see myself jumping on that bandwagon... I get my hope from a much more powerful Him. (Which, yes, I am trying to remind myself of that as we speak to keep me from getting too worked up!)

I had struggled with even putting something up on the blog about this... I mean, I know folks read it (I like watching the "views" number go up!) but I don't know exactly who... except for my mother, most of you don't leave comments! So I had decided I would just keep it simple, not truly knowing my audience... and then I read this article this morning.

Here's just an excerpt:
While discussing the stimulus package with top lawmakers in the White House's Roosevelt Room, President Obama shot down a critic with a simple message.

"I won," he said, according to aides who were briefed on the meeting. "I will trump you on that."

The response was to the objection by Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) to the president's proposal to increase benefits for low-income workers who don't owe federal income taxes.


Here's my problem. I feel like all Republicans - from the lawmakers to little ole me - are now just expected to be quiet. As though since Obama won, our views, thoughts and opinions on issues that effect this country no longer matter, no longer have value, and definitely do not want to be heard. He "preaches" work with me, we can do this together, etc... when it really appears to me he doesn't want Republicans to work WITH him, he simply wants us to follow.

I'm sorry sir, I'm just not there... and with the decisions that have been made the past couple days, it doesn't look like I'll be moving in the direction anytime soon.

Here's to hoping you prove me wrong!

2 comments:

  1. Don't have much to add, just wanted to leave a comment to let you know I read your blog and say that I agree with you on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Hope, don't get me started either. I totally agree with you. And unlike the rest of the country I'm not ready to bend over when Obama asks me to.

    ReplyDelete